Market Walk shopping centre, in the heart of Chorley town centre, is being extended with a purpose-built development on the Flat Iron. The extension, off Union Street, will include a new six-screen Reel Cinema, as well as retailers and food and beverage outlets. Initial ground preparation work for the extension to Market Walk is almost complete and we are in discussions with several businesses interested in coming to Chorley.
In January 2018 councillors gave the final go ahead for the scheme, which also includes creating a second storey car park on Friday Street/Portland Street.
The next few months will see us finalise interior designs for teh extension as well as get all the new car parking in place, which will mean we have more car parking spaces than we had before any of the work started to take place.
We expect work to start on the extension building itself in the summer with an expected opening date of late 2019 in time for the Christmas shopping period. Once we have a more detailed timeline of activity we will post the information on here.
We’ve agreed a £16m package of investment in the town centre that will see a huge amount of work taking place to attract more visitors.
The highlights of the scheme include an extension to Market Walk shopping centre, which will bring a six-screen cinema, high street retailers and restaurants to the town and a programme to improve the appearance of the rest of the town centre streets making it more pedestrian-friendly and a great place to enjoy your leisure time.
This work coincides with two other major projects – to create a new youth zone for Chorley and to build the Primrose Gardens retirement village on Fleet Street.
Timeline of activity
Following our decision to give the final go ahead for the work in January we wanted to give you an overview of what will be happening when:
Market Walk extension
• Amendments to designs – February-May
• Secure lettings on current interest – February-September
• Start building the extension – October
• Improvements to Union Street – January-June (2019)
• Completion of the extension – late 2019
Two-storey car park on Friday Street
• Design and planning consent – February-June
• Re-surfacing of existing car park – May-June
• Build – July-October
• Improvements to crossing over Clifford Street (by-pass) – August-October
• Improvements to Brunswick Street – August-October
Creation of car park on Royal Oak site, off High Street
• Demolition of building – February-May
• Creation of new extended car park – May-July
• Creation of car park on Arley Street for staff parking
• Clear site and resurface – February-May
We will also be opening up approximately 100 additional spaces where the construction site is on the Flat Iron in late April. Inevitably there may be some changes to the schedule.
We’ll keep this page updated with all the latest developments and if you have any questions please contact us.